|Name :||De Paul Hospital (bh10.gif)|
|File Path :||http://www.npl.lib.va.us/absoluteig/gallery/Everyday_Life/Africian-American_History_in_Norfolk,_Virginia/bh10.gif|
|Description :||Norfolk's first hospital opened in 1856 at the corner of Church and Wood Streets, in the home of the late Miss Ann Plume Behan Herron. Miss Herron, who died of the yellow fever in 1855, left her entire estate to the Order of the Sisters of Charity of St. Vincent de Paul for the purpose of founding a hospital. The original building burned in 1899 and was rebuilt two years later on the same site, serving as a hospital until the present De Paul Hospital opened on Kingsley Lane in 1944. The basement and annexes of the old hospital housed classes for the Norfolk Division of the Virginia State College (now Norfolk State University) until 1958.