|Name :||St. John AME Church. (church4.jpg)|
|File Path :||http://www.npl.lib.va.us/absoluteig/gallery/Churches/church4.jpg|
|Description :||Around 1840, a mission for slaves was begun by the Cumberland Street Methodist Episcopal Church. The congregation grew until, in 1863, there were more than 800 members. In that year, the church became a part of the African Methodist Episcopal Church, a religious denomination begun in Philadelphia in 1787. In 1888 the present church was built on Bute Street, and included the first pipe organ in a Black church in Virginia.