Foreman Field Stadium was dedicated on 3 October 1936 at a football game in which the University of Virginia Cavaliers defeated the College of William & Mary Indians 7-0. The stadium, built largely with WPA funds, was named to honor Norfolk attorney Alvan Herbert Foreman. Mr. Foreman was instrumental in establishing the Norfolk Division of the College of William & Mary (now Old Dominion University) in 1930, and in securing WPA funds to help finance several College buildings, including the Academic building, gymnasium and 17,500 seat stadium. He was named Norfolk's First Citizen for 1935. The Norfolk Division of William & Mary had a football team from 1930-1941, winning 62 of 85 games played. In later years the stadium was home field for many Norfolk high schools as well as Norfolk State University, and hosted exhibition games by professional football teams. From 1965-1971 it was the home of the Neptunes, a minor league professional football team based in Norfolk. The first Oyster Bowl game, sponsored by the Shriners of Norfolk's Khedive Temple to benefit crippled children, was played at Foreman Field in 1946, and annually thereafter from 1948-1995. The stadium received a facelift in 1981 when Astro-turf and aluminum seats were installed. Today the stadium is owned by Old Dominion University and its field is used primarily for women's field hockey and other University activities.