When the village of Atlantic City was annexed to Norfolk in 1890, it was a thriving community, with lumber and oyster industries and the Norfolk Knitting and Cotton Manufacturing Company to provide employment for its residents. Adjacent to Fort Norfolk, Atlantic City was roughly bounded by the present Front Street, Raleigh Avenue, Elizabeth River and Colley Avenue. A toll bridge at York Street and a footbridge at Botetourt connected it to Norfolk City. In the 1870s, there was a race track at the end of Fort Norfolk Road, later renamed Colley Avenue after John G. Colley, whose property it bisected. Streetcar service was extended to Atlantic City in 1893, and neighborhood children attended Atlantic City Public Schools #1 and #2 (later Patrick Henry and Robert E. Lee Schools). Much of Atlantic City is gone today, razed as part of Project Number Two (1955-1961) of a 3-phase redevelopment program initiated by NRHA in the early 1950s. The project targeted 135 acres in Atlantic City for the extension of Brambleton Avenue and establishment of a medical center complex: expansion of Norfolk General Hospital and construction of the Medical Arts Tower, Municipal Public Health Center, and Children's Hospital of the Kings Daughters. An additional component of the medical center, realized in 1973, was a medical school, now EVMS. Former residents of Atlantic City hold reunions from time to time and reminisce about the neighborhood -- fishing and crabbing, games of kick the can, the Atlantic City Bull Dogs football team, and "pound parties" to help neighbors in need.